3rd President, Democrat
Term of Office: January 20, 1777 to January 20, 1781
- A government big enough to give you everything you want,
is strong enough to take everything you have.
- All, too, will bear in mind this sacred principle, that though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression.
- Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty.
- Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories.
- Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.